© Photographed July 10, 2015
Erected 1973 by Dane County Historical Society
Cross Plains, Dane County, Wisconsin
43° 6.476′ N, 89° 38.787′ W
The marker is located on northbound County Highway P, south of its intersection with Main Street / U.S. Route 14, at or near 4596 County Highway P, Cross Plains, Wisconsin 53528.In 1838 at the foot of this bluff Berry Haney, a migrant from Cross Plains, Tennessee, established the Cross Plains Post Office in a log house. Early Cross Plains was the site of important military road crossings and Haney became the pioneer village's best known settler.
One mile east stands Haney's Tavern, one of Dane County's oldest existing buildings, later used as a farm home. The tavern, built from native stone, was erected for Haney in 1840 by the Birds, builders also of Madison's first capitol. In the tavern Haney shot a workman named Pelkie--then nursed him back to health.
By nature an adventurer, Haney joined the California gold rush in 1851. He returned to Cross Plains in 1853, deserted his wife, and moved to LeRoy, Kansas where he settled on a farm with a third wife.
In 1858 Haney was shot to death in Kansas. Subsequent owners of the tavern building have borne the names of Arland, Sheasby, Cook, Pick, and Watson.
This marker is No. 15 in the Dane County Historical Society Markers Series.
The easy-to access marker is located at a turnout on County Highway P.
The marker is located near downtown Cross Plains, Wisconsin.