© Photographed July 20, 2015
Beloit, Rock County, Wisconsin
The Hanchett-Bartlett Homestead is located on westbound St. Lawrence Avenue, between Division Street (to the east) and Masters Street (to the west), at or near 2149 Street Lawrence Avenue, Beloit, Wisconsin 53511.
The Hanchett-Bartlett Homestead is owned and operated by the Beloit Historical Society.
From The History of Rock County, Wisconsin: Its early settlement, growth, development, resources, etc. (1879); the foregoing content is in the public domain.CAROLINE HANCHETT, widow . . . of James Henry Hanchett; born in Madison Co., N.Y., in 1818; the daughter of Joseph and Jane Hickox. She married in 1836, in Wayne Co., Mich, J.H. Hanchett, and lived in Coldwater, Mich., Bristol and South Bend, Ind., before coming to Beloit, in 1840; he bought forty acres of land in Sec. 34, and built a large, handsome stone residence, with barns, etc.; they had ten children, seven are now living. Mr. Hanchett died Dec. 6, 1865, in the house he built; he was by occupation a contractor, and was the contractor who built the dam across Rock River, at this city, in 1840; he also built a dam and bridge across the St. Joseph River at Bristol, Inc., and a dam over the same river at South Bend, Ind.; also across Rock River at Dixon and Oregon, Ill.; he built dams and did other public work of immense value. Mrs. H. now occupies the residence on Sec. 34.
Beloit Historical Society: The Hanchett-Bartlett Homestead
The foregoing content used with generous permission of Beloit Historical Society.The Hanchett-Bartlett Homestead, an 1857 Victorian farmstead, is located at 2149 St. Lawrence Ave. in Beloit. The historic site features the home of James Hanchett, a pioneer contractor and builder of dams, who came to Beloit in 1840. He built dams in Indiana, Illinois and Wisconsin, including the first dam across the Rock River at Beloit in 1844.In 1857 he erected a home of locally quarried limestone for his wife and ten children. The house, a transitional Greek revival-Italianate style, today is restored in its period colors and contains furnishings of 1850-1885. The original stone barn and smokehouse, a restored rural schoolhouse and a picnic area are also located on the grounds.The Herrick Bartlett family acquired the property in 1901. Of their nine children three daughters, Mary, Edith and Etta, became doctors. In 1962 the Bartlett sisters deeded their home to the Beloit Historical Society, and in 1977 the Hanchett-Bartlett Homestead was placed on the National Register of Historic Places.
National Register of Historic Places: Wisconsin
The Hanchett-Bartlett Homestead is located in Beloit, Wisconsin.