Founders and Temperance Beginnings

© Photographed October 11, 2015
Painted by June 2015 by Walldogs
Delavan, Walworth County, Wisconsin
42.632914,-88.649638
Phoenix Bros.
Temperance
Righteousness
Abolitionist
DELAVAN, JULY 19, 1836
Colonel Samuel Phoenix and his brother Henry were devout Baptists, dedicated to temperance and abolitionist ideals. They came to Wisconsin territory to establish a temperance community populated with like-minded people. While Henry returned to New York, Samuel stayed behind clearing land and scouting locations near Swan Lake (later Delavan Lake) for milling sites. Alone and discouraged he stumbled upon a rattlesnake. After vanquishing the threat, he was reminded of mankind's ancient struggle with the serpent of sin and found the courage to persevere. The Phoenix brothers became the founders of the new temperance colony they named Delavan after prominent temperance leader E.C. Delavan.
The mural is painted on the east side of the Delavan Chamber of Commerce Building and is accessible from eastbound East Walworth Avenue/ County Highway O / Wisconsin Highway 11, at its intersection with South Terrace Street, at or near 52 East Walworth Avenue, Delavan, Wisconsin 53115.

GazetteXtra (June 25, 2015): Spreading paint and happiness: Walldogs descend on Delavan

The mural is No. 1 in a series of Delavan Walldogs Murals.

Click here to view links to all Delavan Walldogs Murals.



The mural is painted on the east side of the Chamber of Commerce Building.

The mural is No. 1 in a series of Delavan Walldogs Murals.

The mural is located in Delavan, Wisconsin.

No comments:

Post a Comment