Delavan, Wisconsin "19th Century Circus Capital Of The Nations"

© Photographed July 20, 2015
Erected July 23, 1985 by Delavan Historic Preservation Society
and Cousin Otto's Clown Alley #22
Delavan, Walworth County, Wisconsin
42.633124,-88.647362

DELAVAN, WISCONSIN
"19th Century Circus Capital Of The Nations"
Between 1847-1894, Delavan was home to 26 different circus companies. The Mabie Brothers U.S. Olympic Circus, then the largest in America, arrived here in 1847, to become the first circus to quarter in the territory of Wisconsin. Its famous rogue elephant,"Romeo", stood 10 1/2 feet high, weighed 10,500 pounds and is reproduced on this monument. The original P.T. Barnum Circus was organized here in 1871 by William C. Coup and Dan Castello. On July 21, 1948, Delavan was the site of Wisconsin's Circus Centennial as part of the state's 100 Years of Statehood. On May 2, 1966, Delavan was selected by the U.S. Post Office Department to issue on a first day cover basis, the five-cent American Circus Commemorative Postage Stamp. The face of the clown on this monument is a replica of the Circus Stamp.
Over 130 members of Delavan's 19th Century Circus Colony are buried in Spring Grove and St. Andrew cemeteries.
Erected July 23, 1985
By Delavan Historic Preservation Society
And Cousin Otto's Clown Alley #22

The marker is located at Tower Park on westbound East Walworth Avenue / County Highway O / Wisconsin Highway 11, at its intersection with South 4th Street, Delavan, Wisconsin 53115.

The American Circus Clown [Stamp] by The Ringling Art Library



The referenced American Circus Commemorative Postage Stamp.


Looking south at Delavan's historic Vitrified Brick Street.

Looking west along East Walworth Avenue.

The marker is located in historic downtown Delavan, Wisconsin.

No comments:

Post a Comment