War of 1812

© Photographed June 13, 2015
Prairie du Chien, Crawford County, Wisconsin
43.054551,-91.160375
Google Map

WAR OF 1812
United States troops clashed with British-Canadians and their Native American allies on St. Feriole Island in July 1814. They fought for control of Fort Shelby. Built where the Villa Louis now stands. At stake was the control of the fur trade and the water routes leading to eastern markets.

The British won the battle of Prairie du Chien but lost the national conflict. With the end of the war the sun set on the British regime in old Wisconsin and a new day of American control and identity began.
The marker is located along the east bank of the Mississippi River, at Lawler Park on St. Feriole Island, and is accessible from southbound North Water Street, between Bolvin Street (to the north) and Fisher Street (to the south), Prairie du Chien, Wisconsin 53821.


Looking north into Lawler Park.

Looking north, with the Mississippi River to the left.

Looking south along the Mississippi River.

The marker is located in Prairie du Chien, Wisconsin.

No comments:

Post a Comment