Photographed June 19, 2015
Hurley, Iron County, Wisconsin
John E. Burton, in the role of builder and promoter, played a major part in Hurley's early development. With interests in 20 local iron mines, he attracted many investors from Lake Geneva, Wisconsin. Among them was banker and neighbor Alvin N. Tyler who also figured in opening ceremonies of Hurley's famous Burton Hotel on October 19, 1886.This iron nugget, taken from a local mine, reposed for 50 years in Tyler's front yard. It was rescued by Burton's gradddaughter, Alice Hackett, when his home was sold. It rested in her front yard for another 50 years.With her assistance and good wishes, this memento of iron mining was returned to Hurley in 1988.GDE
The marker and iron nugget are located on the grounds of the historic Iron County Courthouse building, now home to the Iron County Historical Museum, located on the southwest corner of the intersection of Iron Street and 3rd Avenue South, at 303 3rd Avenue South, Hurley, Wisconsin 54534.
"This Iron Nugget" is on the ground in front of the marker.
The marker is located at the historic
Iron County Courthouse building in Hurley, Wisconsin.