The Fur Trade

© Photographed June 13, 2015
Prairie du Chien, Crawford County, Wisconsin
43.054551,-91.160375
Google Map

THE FUR TRADE
In the late 1600's the best route from the Great Lakes to the fur-rich upper Mississippi was the Fox-Wisconsin river way [sic], first mapped by Marquette and Joliet.

By the mid-1700s the wide prairie above the confluence of the Wisconsin and Mississippi Rivers had become an important gathering for French-Canadian traders and Native American trappers.

Semiannual trade rendezvous evolved into year around settlement and here on St. Feriole Island the Main Village took root and prospered.
The marker is located along the east bank of the Mississippi River, at Lawler Park on St. Feriole Island, and is accessible from southbound North Water Street, between Bolvin Street (to the north) and Fisher Street (to the south), Prairie du Chien, Wisconsin 53821.


Looking south, with the Mississippi River to the right.

The marker is located in Prairie du Chien, Wisconsin.

No comments:

Post a Comment