Steel Rains and Steam Trains

© Photographed June 13, 2015
Prairie du Chien, Crawford County, Wisconsin
43.054551,-91.160375
Google Map

STEEL RAILS AND STEAM TRAINS
In April 1857 the first steam locomotive snorted its way into Prairie du Chien, known as the Milwaukee and Mississippi Railroad. The line was the first to connect the Great Lakes and the Mississippi River.

Initially headquartered in lower Prairie du Chien the railroad relocated to St. Feriole Island in the early 1860's. The move revitalized the old main village prompting a building boom that included an elegant hotel, depot, mill and towering grain elevator.
The marker is located along the east bank of the Mississippi River, at Lawler Park on St. Feriole Island, and is accessible from southbound North Water Street, between Bolvin Street (to the north) and Fisher Street (to the south), Prairie du Chien, Wisconsin 53821.


Drawing of Dousman Hotel on the marker.


With the Mississippi River in the background,
looking west from the marker location.

No pups permitted in Lawler Park! Dexter had to ride in his stroller.

The marker is located in Prairie du Chien, Wisconsin.

No comments:

Post a Comment