Saint Stephen Lutheran Church

© Photographed June 6, 2015
Erected 1975 by Milwaukee Landmark Commission
Milwaukee, Milwaukee County, Wisconsin
43° 1.15′ N, 87° 55.001′ W

SAINT STEPHEN LUTHERAN
CHURCH
Designed by Otto C. Uehling, erected in 1901-02, and designated in 1975 as a Milwaukee Landmark in recognition of its architectural and historical significance to the community. 
Saint Stephen Lutheran Church is located on northbound South 5th Street, at its intersection with West Scott Street, at 1136 South 5th Street, Milwaukee, Wisconsin 53204.

The property is included in the Walker's Point Historic District, listed on the National Register of Historic Properties: Wisconsin and the State Register of Historic Properties, and is a Milwaukee County Landmark.

St. Stephen's Lutheran Church: A Brief History

1136 S. 5th Street, Milwaukee County, Milwaukee
Historic Name: St. Stephen's Lutheran Church
Reference Number: 41981
Year Built: 1879
Additions: 1901
Architectural Style: High Victorian Gothic
Wall Material: Brick
Architect: Otto C. Uehling
National/State Register Listing Name: Walker's Point Historic District
National Register Listing Date: 1978-12-19
State Register Listing Date: 1989-01-01
Additional Information:
The 1901 St. Stephen's Church was designed in the High Victorian Gothic style by Otto C. Uehling. It is a good but late example of this richly ornamented form. The tower and spire were constructed in 1879 for an earlier building. Milwaukee Landmark. The congregation dates to 1854, when south side members of Kilbourntown's Trinity Lutheran Church established St. Stephen's.
The foregoing content used with permission of Wisconsin Historical Society.

 The small plaque is affixed to the facade, to the right of the entrance on the left.



 The south side of the building.










No comments:

Post a Comment