Roddis Line: Nelson Camp 1 (1925-1930)

Photographed June 20, 2015
Mercer (Butternut), Iron County, Wisconsin
46° 4.914′ N, 90° 16.26′ W
Google Map

RODDIS LINE: NELSON CAMP 1 (1925-1930)
This camp was Carl Nelson’s headquarters camp. From this camp, he directed the woods operations and sent rail cars of timber south to the main line at Camp 8.

While all of the buildings are gone, artifacts found at the site tell a story of what happened here.

Food cans of various sizes show that canned fruit, vegetables, tomato sauce and condensed milk fortified the men in the winter months when fresh produce and dairy products were scarce. Animal bones and barbed wire suggest that livestock were penned in the camp for use as fresh meat. Lantern parts from kerosene lamps tell archaeologists that electric lights may not have been strung to this camp.
The marker is located on northbound County Road FF, north of its intersection with Turtle Flambeau Dam Road, Butternut, Wisconsin 54514.

The marker is on the right . . .

 Crew at Nelson Camp 1

Camp store and office



The marker is located along County Highway FF in Butternut, Wisconsin.

    No comments:

    Post a Comment