On the Waterfront

© Photographed June 13, 2015
Prairie du Chien, Crawford County, Wisconsin
43.054551,-91.160375
Google Map

ON THE WATERFRONT
Established as a railroad center in the mid-1960's, the St. Feriole Island waterfront was dominated by transportation, storage and related activities well into the 20th Century. Looking south from the Milwaukee Road Depot in 1916, this view captures the Diamond Jo warehouse and the grain elevator  on the riverbank with the pontoon bridge in the background. On the inside are a boarding house, tavern, storage sheds and the towering smokestack of the electrical plant. Changing transportation modes, flooding and the ravages of time have altered or removed most of these structures.
The marker is located along the east bank of the Mississippi River, at Lawler Park on St. Feriole Island, and is accessible from southbound North Water Street, between Bolvin Street (to the north) and Fisher Street (to the south), Prairie du Chien, Wisconsin 53821.

The marker is adjacent to a North Water Street parking lot.


Looking west, with the Mississippi River in the background.

The marker is located in Prairie du Chien, Wisconsin.

No comments:

Post a Comment