Marquette and Joliet

© Photographed June 13, 2015
Prairie du Chien, Crawford County, Wisconsin
43.054551,-91.160375
Google Map

MARQUETTE AND JOLIET
 Seventeenth century France expanded its territory in North America through exploration. Trader-explorers Louis Joliet and Jesuit Father Jacques Marquette journeyed west in search of a great river in the spring of 1673.

Ascending the Fox River to a portage, they then entered a new river Marquette called Miskonsinc [sic]. On June 17 their canoes reached the Michissipi three miles below this island.

The route their journey mapped was followed for the next one hundred fifty years.
The marker is located along the east bank of the Mississippi River, at Lawler Park on St. Feriole Island, and is accessible from southbound North Water Street, between Bolvin Street (to the north) and Fisher Street (to the south), Prairie du Chien, Wisconsin 53821.


Looking south, with the Mississippi River to the right.

The marker is located in Prairie du Chien, Wisconsin.

No comments:

Post a Comment