Prairie du Chien, Crawford County, Wisconsin
By the mid-1700's the seasonal trade camp had become a permanent settlement called the Main Village carrying traditions from their native villages in lower Canada. The early residents laid out lots of St. Feriole Island in long, narrow ribbons stretching from the river on the west to the slough on the east. These long lots were called routures [sic].Early houses were often built of logs and were located near the river bank. In this way they enjoyed access to the village's primary source of commerce and transportation.
The marker is located along the east bank of the Mississippi River, at Lawler Park on St. Feriole Island, and is accessible from southbound North Water Street, between Bolvin Street (to the north) and Fisher Street (to the south), Prairie du Chien, Wisconsin 53821.
Looking south along the Mississippi River.
Looking north into Lawler Park.
Looking north, with the Mississippi River to the left.
The marker is located in Prairie du Chien, Wisconsin.