Holy Trinity Our Lady of Guadalupe Church

Photographed June 6 and July 5, 2015
Erected 1970 by Milwaukee Landmarks Commission
Milwaukee, Milwaukee County, Wisconsin
43° 1.508′ N, 87° 54.94′ W

HOLY TRINITY
OUR LADY OF GUADALUPE CHURCH
Erected in 1849 and designated in 1970 as a landmark of the City of Milwaukee by the Milwaukee Landmarks Commission in recognition of its architectural and historical significance to the community.
The marker is mounted to the facade to the right of the entrance to Our Lady of Guadalupe Church, located on the southwest corner of the intersection of West Bruce Street and South 4th Street, at 613 South 4th Street, Milwaukee, Wisconsin 53204.

605 South 4th Street, Milwaukee County, Milwaukee
Historic Name: Holy Trinity Roman Catholic Church
Other Name: Our Lady of Guadalupe Roman Catholic Church
Reference Number: 16289
Year Built: 1849
Additions: 1862
Additions: 1863
Additions: 1874
Additions: 1890
Architectural Style: Romanesque Revival
Wall Material: Brick
Architect: Schmidtner
Architect: Victor Schulte
National/State Register Listing Name: Holy Trinity Roman Catholic Church
National Register Listing Date: 1972-11-07
State Register Listing Date: 1989-01-01
Additional Information:
The brick Holy Trinity Roman Catholic Church was built in 1849 and had a tower and steeple added in 1862. [A]. V. Schulte designed the church structure and Schmidtner designed the steeple. Interior alterations occurred in 1863, 1874 and 1890.
During the late 1840s, Father Saltzmann, young assistant pastor of St. Mary's Church on Broadway, saw the need for a church closer to German-speaking Roman Catholics living on Milwaukee's south side. He collected funds for this purpose, purchased lots from George Walker and retained the services of the German-born architect, carpenter and builder who had designed St. Mary's and St. John's Cathedral. Lumber, brick and considerable labor were contributed by parishoners. Church was dedicated on 9/24/1850.
It is also a contributing resource in the Walker's Point Historic District (listed: 12/19/78).
The foregoing content used with permission of Wisconsin Historical Society.

 The marker is mounted to the facade, to the right of the main entrance.





The church is located in Milwaukee, Wisconsin.

No comments:

Post a Comment