Historic Galloway Village: The Edwin H. Galloway House


At the entrance to the Galloway House (above)
At the entrance to the Galloway House & Village Visitor Center (below)

Photographed June 27, 2015
Fond du Lac, Fond du Lac County, Wisconsin
43.753811,-88.43613
Google Map

THE EDWIN H. GALLOWAY HOUSE
placed on the
NATIONAL REGISTER
OF HISTORIC PLACES
May 28, 1976
by the United States
Department of the Interior

The markers are located at Historic Galloway House & Village at 336 Old Pioneer Road, Fond du Lac, Wisconsin 54935.

National Register of Historic Places: Wisconsin 

Historic Name: Edwin H. Galloway House
Other Name: Historic Galloway House & Village
Reference Number: 16158
Year Built: 1846
Additions: 1868
Additions: 1880
Architectural Style: Italianate
Wall Material: Clapboard
National/State Register Listing Name: Galloway, Edwin H., House
National Register Listing Date: 1976-05-28
State Register Listing Date: 1989-01-01
Additional Information:  
The Galloway House is a two story Italianate mansion with a three story Italian Villa style tower. The house is decorated with wide eaves, a frieze, and brackets. Openings are decorated with window hoods or cornice lintels and are largely arched openings. The bay is lavishly decorated with brackets, dentils and pilasters. The main entrance in the tower is a double wood door with a round arched transom. The entrance is decorated with pilasters, a frieze with dentils and a hood supported by brackets. The ell porch features modillions, square posts and arched openings. Also on the property are an elaborately decorated gazebo and a number of buildings moved to the site as part of the museum grounds. The 20 museum buildings represent a "Victorian Village" and are interpreted in the same period as the house.

This house is architecturally significant and was listed in the National Register as an outstanding example of the Italianate style. In fact, this house is the best example of the style in the city. It features all the typical Italianate details, and the Italian Villa tower is an outstanding element of the house. Because this is a house museum, it has been well preserved with all of its details intact.

While parts of the house date to an earlier time, Edwin Galloway extensively remodeled and enlarged this house to much of its apperance today. Edwin H. Galloway, the first owner of the house, was a prominent and successful businessman and politician. His family continued to be prominent throughout their history with this house. In 1954, the house and property was donated to the Fond du Lac County Historical Society. They have operated it and numerous other buildings moved to this site as a museum complex since that time.

This house is historically significant because of its association with Edwin H. Galloway, a prominent early citizen in the community. His business and political activities were important to the growth and development of Fond du Lac and Fond du Lac County.
The foregoing content used with permission of Wisconsin Historical Society.

Click here to view all markers at the Historic Galloway House & Village.







 The house is the centerpiece of Galloway House & Village.

No comments:

Post a Comment