Fort Crawford

© Photographed June 13, 2015
Prairie du Chien, Crawford County, Wisconsin
43.054551,-91.160375
Google Map

FORT CRAWFORD
The War of 1812 convinced America that in order to control their vast country they must occupy and develop it. In Prairie du Chien this process began with the construction of Fort Crawford in the summer of 1816.

Symbol of government and authority, social and cultural institution, haven for visitors and place of duty, the Fort meant many things to many people. It's [sic] long shadow fell on every corner of the island and surrounding prairie.
The marker is located along the east bank of the Mississippi River, at Lawler Park on St. Feriole Island, and is accessible from southbound North Water Street, between Bolvin Street (to the north) and Fisher Street (to the south), Prairie du Chien, Wisconsin 53821.

Looking north along the Mississippi River.


A beautiful view of the Mississippi River from Lawler Park!

 Screenshot of vintage postcard provided by CardCow.com
Ruins of Old Fort Crawford, Prairie-du-Chien, Wis.

Screenshot of vintage postcard provided by CardCow.com
Fort Crawford, Prairie du Chien, Wis.
 
The marker is located in Prairie du Chien, Wisconsin.

No comments:

Post a Comment