Forest Home Cemetery Soldiers Lot, Milwaukee

Photographed June 6, 2015
Created 1872 by U.S. Government
Milwaukee, Milwaukee County, Wisconsin
42.997318,-87.946885
Google Map

Veterans Administration
1930
SOLDIERS LOT

Soldiers Lot is located inside Forest Home Cemetery, at 2405 West Forest Home Avenue, Milwaukee, Wisconsin 53215.

NOTE: Forest Home Cemetery comprises nearly 200 acres, and none of the roads inside the cemetery have names. Use the above GPS coordinates to take you to the exact location of the Soldiers' Lot.

National Park Service: U.S. Department of the Interior
Civil War Era National Cemeteries: Honoring Those Who Served
Forest Home Cemetery Soldiers' Lot  Milwaukee, Wisconsin
The soldiers’ lot located in Milwaukee’s Forest Home Cemetery is the final resting place for 21 Union soldiers, many of whom died of injury or illness in hospitals in the Milwaukee area. The soldiers’ lot was created in 1872 when the Federal Government purchased the small parcel in Forest Home Cemetery, the upper Midwest’s oldest rural cemetery. The simple and uniform grave markers in this section are an interesting contrast to the more elaborate memorials and markers that fill the other sections of Forest Home Cemetery’s nearly 200 acres.

In 1850, leaders of Milwaukee’s St. Paul’s Episcopal Church purchased 72 acres four miles outside of the city to create a cemetery.  The densely wooded parcel of gently rolling hills would become the region’s first rural park cemetery.  The church leaders chose Increase Allan Lapham to direct the landscaping of the cemetery.  At the time considered Wisconsin’s foremost scholar, Lapham was an engineer and surveyor known for his geological and natural history studies of Ohio and Wisconsin.  Influenced by other early park cemetery designs, Lapham incorporated curving paths and naturalistic plantings to create a picturesque and tranquil landscape.  The first burial took place in 1850, and a year later the cemetery adopted the name Forest Home. In the 1880s, the cemetery trustees acquired additional acreage, bringing the total area of the grounds to 198.5 acres.

In 1872, the U.S. government purchased a small parcel in Section 24 of the cemetery, for use as a soldiers’ lot.  The remains of 21 soldiers, many of whom had died while under care in Milwaukee’s general hospitals, are buried in the lot.
The foregoing content is in the public domain.




Screenshot of vintage postcard provided by CardCow.com.
"From the silence of sorrowful hours,
The desolate mourners go.
Lovingly laden with flowers,
A line for the friend and the foe.
Under the sod and the dew,
Waiting the Judgment Day.
Under the roses the Blue.
Under the lilies the Gray."




Soldiers Lot is located at Forest Home Cemetery in Milwaukee, Wisconsin.

No comments:

Post a Comment