Fond du Lac's Famed Wooden Indian

Photographed June 27, 2015
Fond du Lac, Fond du Lac County, Wisconsin
43.753811,-88.43613
Google Map

Fond du Lac's Famed
WOODEN INDIAN
McGregor's cigar store, located on the east side of Main Street midway between Sheboygan and Division streets [sic] was noted for this wooden Indian that stood in front of it [sic] and for the famous people who occasionally stopped there. Among the regular customers was Fond du Lac's famed Civil war [sic] general [sic], Edward S. Bragg, who lived only a few blocks away on East Division Street. John Ringling of circus fame was also a frequent customer and Presidents William Howard Taft and Woodrow Wilson had placed orders with the firm.

Opened in 1900 by D. C. McGregor, who fame to Fond du Lac from Cedar Rapids, Iowa, the store originally was located in the Old Plamer House block on Main Street. Otto W. Helmold, Lisle F. Lewis and Henry C. Niederehe took over the establishment in 1913, and the store moved to its final quarters in 1924.

This wooden Indian was carved out of a solid log by a youth named "Pre Fontaine." Although details are lacking, the Indian was carved prior to 1900 and "came with the store".

By the time McGregor's had closed in 1941, such Indians were a rarity and offers to purchase this one came from many sources.
Fond du Lac's Famed Wooden Indian is located at the Historic Galloway House & Village Visitor Center at 336 Old Pioneer Road, Fond du Lac, Wisconsin 54935.

Click here to view all markers at the Historic Galloway House & Village.

 The marker is at the base of the Indian.




 A box of cigars??

 The Wooden Indian is located at the Historic Galloway House & Village Visitor Center.

 The Wooden Indian is located at Galloway House & Village.

No comments:

Post a Comment