Astor Fur Warehouse

© Photographed June 13, 2015
Prairie du Chein, Crawford County, Wisconsin
43.055292,-91.160043
Google Map

National Historic Landmark
National Register Number: 66000800

Statement of Significance (as of designation - October 9, 1960):
Constructed c. 1828, this stone building, one of the American Fur Company's principal establishments, recalls the Astor empire and Prairie du Chien's prominence as a fur trading center.
The Astor Fur Warehouse (aka Fur Trade Museum) is located on St. Feriole Island at Villa Louis State Historic Site, at the intersection of North Water Street and Bolvin Street, Prairie du Chein, Wisconsin 53821.


The west side of the building, which faces the Mississippi River.

The west (to the right) and north (to the left) sides of the building.

The east (to the left) and north (to the right) sides of the building.

The south (to the left) and east (to the right) sides of the building.

The south side of the building, with the Mississippi River
in the distance, to the left.

Nearby train . . .

The property is a National Historic Landmark, although there
is no marker on the property.

 The building is near the Villa Louis Visitor Center Museum Store.

Astor Fur Warehouse is located in Prairie du Chien, Wisconsin.

No comments:

Post a Comment