Water Street / Growing Up Along the River

Photographed May 22, 2015
Erected by Eau Claire Landmarks Commission
Eau Claire, Eau Claire County, Wisconsin
44.79923,-91.520158
Google Map

WATER STREET
Growing Up Along The River
As a frontier town, Eau Claire relied on the river to transport people and products. The Water Street Business District grew up convenient to the steamboat landing, where twice weekly the "Jennie Whipple" unloaded passengers opposite the Niagara House. In the 1870's, one and two-story wood frame buildings lined the dusty, horse-trod street. The 1873 business directory listed seven dry goods merchants, four grocers, three meat markets, flour and feed dealers, and a host of smaller establishments – tailors, milliners, barbers, bakers, blacksmiths, druggists, attorneys, and undertakers – catering to the booming west side population. The Niagara House long functioned as a meeting and dance hall. Drinking men could partake at any one of eight saloons. In 1882, a devastating fire swept through the district, destroying 73 buildings, including the Pioneer Block and surrounding residential area. Merchants rebuilt with brick and many of those structures remain today. Water Street continues to be a vital commercial and entertainment area.
Sponsored By:
Water Street Business Improvement District
 
The marker is located along the Chippewa River State Trail and is accessible from a parking lot at the intersection of Menomonie Street / 5th Avenue and Riverside Avenue, Eau Claire, Wisconsin 54703.

NOTE: The parking lot is not a public lot and contains assigned parking for nearby businesses and residences.

This marker is No. 5 in a series of markers erected by the Eau Claire Landmarks Commission.




 The "not public" parking lot is to the left.

 The marker is locate din Eau Claire, Wisconsin.

No comments:

Post a Comment