© Photographed May 23, 2015
Eau Claire, Eau Claire County, Wisconsin
THE RUTTER SHOE
THE RUTTER SHOE
The rutter shoe was a road building tool. After the logging road was cleared through the forest, the rutter was pulled along to cut ruts of the same approximate gauge (or width) of the log sled bobs (runners). This operation would have to be repeated after each heavy snow. As with much logging equipment, early rutters were built in the camps by the camp blacksmith. Later, as the logging industry grew, rutters were manufactured and shipped to the camps. This rutter is probably of the latter variety as the heavy iron tips of the bobs and the shoes directly behind them would be difficult to form with ordinary blacksmith tools.It should be noted that the tips of the bobs are stearable [sic] by the vertical rods on the front of the bobs. There were either wheels or a tiller arrangement used to operate this steering gear which was lost at some point of this rutters [sic] life.
The marker is located at the Paul Bunyan Logging Camp Museum, located at Carson Park, accessible from East Half Moon Drive, between Carson Park Drive (to the south) and Pavilion Drive (to the north), at or near 1110 Carson Park Drive, Eau Claire, Wisconsin 54701.
NOTE: Carson Park is on an island in Half Moon Lake; East Half Moon Drive / West Half Moon Drive is a loop around the island; it is impossible to miss the Paul Bunyan Logging Camp Museum.
Click here to view all markers at the Paul Bunyan Logging Camp Museum
The marker is atop "The Rutter Shoe"
The marker is located at the Paul Bunyan Logging Camp.
Follow the signs to the Paul Bunyan Logging Camp Museum.
The marker is located at Carson Park.
Carson Park is located in Eau Claire, Wisconsin.