Eau Claire Public Library (1903)

Photographed May 22, 2015
Erected 1976 by City of Eau Claire Landmark Commission
Eau Claire, Eau Claire County, Wisconsin
44° 48.702′ N, 91° 29.905′ W
Google Map

Historic Building
Built 1903. Architects, Patton and Miller, Chicago, Illinois. Contractor, Hoeppner-Bartlett Company of Eau Claire, Wisconsin. This building was a gift to the City of Eau Claire by Andrew Carnegie.
Approved June Twenty-Four
Nineteen Hundred and Seventy-Six
The marker is located on northbound South Farwell Street, north of its intersection with East Grand Avenue, at 217 South Farwell Street, Eau  Claire, Wisconsin 54701.



Andrew Carnegie and the Carnegie Library Legacy

Wikipedia: Carnegie Library
A Carnegie library is a library built with money donated by Scottish-American businessman and philanthropist Andrew Carnegie. A total of 2,509 Carnegie libraries were built between 1883 and 1929, including some belonging to public and university library systems. 1,689 were built in the United States, 660 in Britain and Ireland, 125 in Canada, and others in Australia, New Zealand, Serbia, the Caribbean, Mauritius, Malaysia and Fiji.
The foregoing text available under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply.

Wikipedia: List of Carnegie libraries in Wisconsin

History of Andrew Carnegie and Carnegie Libraries

Landmarks Commission: Architectural Styles of Historic Properties in Eau Claire, Wisconsin

The building is listed on the National Register of Historic Places: Wisconsin: Eau Claire County.

This property is designated a City of Eau Claire "Historic Building"; the marker is one in a series of markers erected by the City of Eau Claire Landmark Commission.


Scan of vintage postcard provided by CardCow.com
Postcard Postmark: August 7, 1907




No comments:

Post a Comment