Waupun Post Office 1932

 Photographed April 11, 2015
Waupun, Fond du Lac County, Wisconsin
43.634543,-88.729442

The building is located on westbound East Franklin Street, at its intersection with North Madison Street / County Highway M / U.S. Route 151 Business, at 400 East Franklin Street, Waupun, Wisconsin 53963.

 
400 E. Franklin Street, Fond du Lac County, Waupon
Historic Name: Waupun Post office
Other Name: US Post Office
Reference Number: 56967
Year Built: 1932
Architectural Style: Neoclassical
Wall Material: Brick
Architect:James A. Wetmore
National/State Register Listing Name: Waupun Post Office
National Register Listing Date: 2000-10-24
Additional Information:  
The building is an example of the Neo-Classical style. The plan is rectangular with the public entrance lobby on the Franklin Street face. The elevation is organized symmetrically about the entry door. The entry projects from the building, is flanked by two windows with semi-circular heads on either side and is entirely of limestone. The building is constructed of red brick on a granite base. There is elaborate limestone trim, including quoins and denticulated cornice throughout. This structure is in excellent condition.

As previously mentioned, the entry is trimmed with limestone. It has fluted plasters with Ionic order capitals and a broken pediment over the entry doors with a carved urn with stone flame in it. There is a large relief limestone eagle at the parapet wall over the entry. The windows are not original and have been redone in dark bronze aluminum. The entry stairs are granite with metal railings on either side. 

The building cornerstone notes: "Ogden L. Mills, Secretary of the Treasury, James A. Wetmore, Acting Supervising Architect, 1932." There is a loading dock on the rear. The building interior has a terrazo and marble floor with a wood paneled wainscot. The walls are coffered ceiling are plaster. There are recessed arched panels in the walls. Stop the original wood trim, as well as the wood vestibule remain. The building is located on the edge of the city's business district. 

Architectural/Engineering Significance: This is an excellent example of the Neo-Classical interpretation. It remains largely intact with the exception of the replacement of its original multi-paned windows with large, single-pane reflective glass windows in dark bronze aluminum frames.

Historical Background: No historical information on the history of postal service in Waupun could be found in the course of the survey. It is presumed, as in the case of all but one of the Post Offices surveyed, that this building reflects the first federally-owned Post Office in the community. This postal station was originally occupied in June of 1933.
The foregoing content used with permission of the Wisconsin Historical Society.

 



No comments:

Post a Comment