Photographed April 18, 2015
Dedicated 1979 by Middleton Historical Society
Middleton, Dane County, Wisconsin
43° 4.518′ N, 89° 32.216′ W
The Big Church
On The Hillside
This plaque is dedicated to the early German immigrants who came to the Middleton area between 1840 and 1850 and chose this site for a church. A log church was built just north of this structure in 1854. It soon proved inadequate and a second church was erected at this location in 1866. It was complete with sawn lumber, a steeple and bell and served until 1884 when an addition was made including a new steeple and bell.
This plaque commemorates the present edifice which served its congregation until 1947 when regular services were discontinued and the congregation dissolved.
The building is being preserved and a memorial service is held annually to perpetuate the memory of the religious faith of the early settlers who started "The Big Church on the Hill".
Dedicated by the Middleton Historical Society, September 5, 1979
The church is located on northbound Pleasant View Road, at its intersection with Old Sauk Road, at 4022 Pleasant View Road, Middleton, Wisconsin 53562.
First Lutheran Church Middleton: About
The property is listed on the National Register of Historic Places: Wisconsin.
See also, First Lutheran Church, also at this location.
The marker is mounted to the facade, to the right of the entrance.
The church is located in Middleton, Wisconsin.