Sun Prairie Centennial Plaque

Photographed April 11, 2015
Erected 1937 by the Citizens of Sun Prairie
Sun Prairie, Dane Caounty, Wisconsin
43.183058,-89.213073
Google Map

SUN PRAIRIE
In memory of the founders who gave this community its name when the party of Augustus A. Bird,  Commissioner, and Charles A. Bird, later the first settler, passed this way from Milwaukee to erect the first capitol at Madison. After nine weary days of rain the were thrilled with sunshine upon this prairie and carved "Sun Prairie" on a Burr oak tree one mile and a half east of this village June 9, 1837.
The marker is located at the Sun Prairie Historical Library & Museum on westbound East Main Street / Wisconsin Route 19, east of its intersection with South Bristol Street, at 115 East Main Street, Sun Prairie, Wisconsin 53590.

The Bird Expedition Part 2: Milwaukee to Sun Prairie
Compiled May 29, 2012 by City of Sun Prairie Historical Library & Museum
A very interesting, more in-depth account of the history behind the marker inscription.

City of Sun Prairie: Museum
The 1924 red brick building still serves the community as the headquarters of the Museum. Past uses of the building include a library, city offices, the village council chamber, World War II Red Cross center, and as the original site of the Colonial Club.

No comments:

Post a Comment