Monona's History

© Photographed April 18, 2015
Erected 2013 by Dane County Historical Society
and Monona Landmarks Commission
Monona, Dane County, Wisconsin
43° 4.276′ N, 89° 19.962′ W

MONONA'S
HISTORY
Lake Monona and the Yahara River were popular campsites for Monona’s early inhabitants. Native Americans, especially the Ho-Chunk, settled near these clean and clear waters for access to food, farming and transportation. At least ten effigy mounds from these early natives remain in Monona. Incorporation as a village in 1938 changed the landscape from farms and lakeside cottages to include more permanent homes and local businesses. The 1950s saw a surge of home building as the scattered landscape filled in and became a community. Eventually an increase in population led to a need for expanded facilities and services including police and fire protection, and street maintenance. As a result, Monona was chartered as a city in 1969. With an idyllic lake setting and a civic-minded population, Monona from early days has met its responsibility as an emerging city.
NOTE: This is a two-sided marker; see also Monona's Birthplace.

The marker is located at the V-intersection of Winnequah Road and Midmoor Road, Monona, Wisconsin 53716.

This marker is included in the Dane County Historical Society Markers Series.

See also, Ernie's Trading Post 1925, also at this location.




This is a two-sided marker; see also Monona's Birthplace.

 The marker is located in Monona, Wisconsin.

No comments:

Post a Comment