Columbus Fireman's Park Established 1916

© Photographed April 11, 2015
Columbus, Columbia County, Wisconsin
43.330557,-89.024027

COLUMBUS FIREMAN'S PARK
ESTABLISHED 1916
by the local firemen and 
a $2150 City Council appropriation.
The oldest building, the park pavilion, was constructed by Callahan Brothers, local builders, in 1917 featuring a 2-story veranda encircling much of the building.

The brick rest haven building was constructed in 1923. The prairie school design is one of few in Wisconsin and was used by visiting auto-campers in the eara as it contains bathrooms, showers and a kitchen.

Two log cabin buildings were donated in 1928 and 1938, one of which stands today.

All the the buildings have been used continuously and play active roles in city celebrations.
The marker is located at the eastbound Park Avenue / Wisconsin Route 73 entrance to Fireman's Park, just east of its intersection with Ingalsbe Street, at 1049 Park Avenue, Columbus, Wisconsin 53925.

These markers / memorials are also at this location:


 The referenced pavilion . . .



 Screenshot of vintage postcard provided by CardCow.com.
Rest Haven, City Park, Columbus, Wis.
(referenced in the above historical markers)

Screenshot of vintage postcard provided by CardCow.com.
City Park, Columbus, Wis.
(with the referenced Rest Haven building visible to the left)


A Park Avenue pedestrian entrance to the park.

Signage on eastbound Park Avenue, east of the entrance.

The marker is located in Columbus, Wisconsin.

No comments:

Post a Comment