Photographed March 20, 2015
Erected by Hales Corners Historical Society
Hales Corners, Milwaukee County, Wisconsin
42° 56.287′ N, 88° 2.688′ W
Turn Of The Century Business District
Hales Corners grew into a Village after the Civil War. New homes & businesses were established along the Janesville Plank Road, the most important road in the Village.
Adam Conrad erected an opera house at this approximate location on the “Plank Road” in the late 1800’s. It was used for events such as dances, movies and parties, but never for operas.
Across the street between 10544 and 10432 W. Forest Home, several buildings remain from the same era though most have been extensively remodeled. Businesses housed there included a smithy, hardware store, grocery store, meat market, saloon, ice cream parlor and cobbler shop. Often there were living quarters upstairs or in the back.
The marker is located on eastbound West Forest Home Avenue, just east of its intersection with South 108th Street / Wisconsin Route 100, at 10539 West Forest Home Avenue, Hales Corners, Wisconsin 53130.
Looking east towards Forest Home Avenue.