Erected by Hales Corners Historical Society
Hales Corners, Milwaukee County, Wisconsin
42° 56.91′ N, 88° 1.913′ W
ST. MARY'S CHURCH and CEMETERY
Saint Mary’s, the oldest church in the area, has a recorded history dating from 1842. At that time Father Patrick O’Kelley was the priest in attendance and a log church had been constructed on the present cemetery site. The second church, a frame structure which included living quarters for the pastor, served until 1893. Next the congregation erected a steepled brick church and used it for 67 years. A school was built in 1953, and in 1959 an addition to the school was begun which provided new larger quarters for worship as well as additional room for the students. The sanctuary was extensively remodeled in 1982. John Furlong, one of the earliest parishioners, donated land for the cemetery. The earliest head stone records a burial in 1842.
The cemetery and marker are located on westbound West Edgerton Avenue, west of its intersection with West Kelly Place, at 9550 West Edgerton Avenue, Hales Corners, Wisconsin 53030.
The present parish, adjacent to the cemetery, built in the late 1990's.
This is the fifth parish building, since the parish was organized in 1842.
The cemetery is visible to the left.
The marker is located in Hales Corners, Wisconsin.