Silurian Spring

Photographed March 2, 2015
Erected 2008 by Waukesha County Historical Society & Museum
Waukesha, Waukesha County, Wisconsin
43.009734,-88.22287

SILURIAN SPRING
Silurian Spring is a natural flowing spring situated on an elevation 50’ above the Fox River. David Jackson, the first postmaster of Waukesha (then Prairieville), built his log cabin west of the present day spring and used the water.

David Smeaton named and promoted the spring in 1874. From that time through the 1930’s, Silurian water was bottled and shipped nationwide from this spring.

A beautifully landscaped park once existed on this site with a bath house, pond, roller coaster, bandstand and bottling plant. Guests crowded to the Park to hear concerts and drink the water.

The Casino Theater was located behind the spring. Popular touring plays were presented every summer.

The structure was built in 1926. Since the city acquired the park in 1941, it has been restored four times and has served as a reminder of Waukesha’s Spring Era.

Funded by Waukesha 1834 Club
Silurian Spring is located at Waukesha Spring Park at the end of Post Office Circle, north of its intersection with East Broadway Street, Waukesha, Wisconsin 53186.

NOTE: Post Office Circle deadends at the entrance to Waukesha Spring Park. There is plenty of parking behind the post office (see photos below) to access the park and the marker.


Wisconsin Stories: The Power of Water

This marker is No. 34-14 in a series of historical markers erected by the Waukesha County Historical Society.

See also, Historical Landmark: Waukesha Spring, also at this location.



Screenshot of vintage postcard provided by CardCow.com.











It's a short walk from the parking lot to the marker location.


There is plenty of parking behind the post office building.

No comments:

Post a Comment