Old St. Mary's Church

Photographed March 28, 2015
Erected 1970 by Milwaukee Landmarks Commission
Milwaukee, Milwaukee County, Wisconsin
43.042155,-87.907788
Google Map

OLD ST. MARY'S CHURCH

Erected in 1846 and designated in 1970
as a Landmark of the City of Milwaukee
by the Milwaukee Landmarks Commission
in recognition of its architectural and
historical significance to the community

Old St. Mary's Church is located on the southeast corner of the intersection of North Broadway and East Kilbourn Avenue, at 838 North Broadway, Milwaukee, Wisconsin 53202.

Old St. Mary Parish

Wikipedia: Old St. Mary's Parish
  • The church was built in 1847.
  • The parish was founded in 1846 by German Catholic immigrants. 
  • Old St. Mary's is the oldest church still standing in the city.
  • The church was designed by Victor Schulte, a Prussian immigrant, who designed three other religious buildings in the area.
  • Old St. Mary's is constructed of Cream City brick. 
  • The tower gained a clock in 1860 and three bells in 1868; the bronze bells were cast in Munich.
  • The carved wooden main altar was purchased in 1848.
The foregoing text is available under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply.

The property is listed on the National Register of Historic Places: Wisconsin and Wisconsin State Register.

National Register Listing Date: 1973-03-07
State Register Listing Date: 1989-01-01

See also, Centennial of Old St. Mary's, also at this location.












See also, Centennial of Old St. Mary's, also at this location.



No comments:

Post a Comment