Gloria Dei Evangelical Lutheran Church 1922

MARKER PHOTO NEEDED
Erected 2012 by Madison Landmarks Commission
Madison, Dane County, Wisconsin
43.078429,-89.381503
Google Map

GLORIE DEI EVANGELICAL
LUTHERAN CHURCH
Balch and Lippert, Architects
1922
The Gloria Dei Church is a striking example of the Gothic Revival style, which was locally popular between 1915 and 1945 for the design of religious buildings. The fa├žade is of brick and limestone. Decorative elements include Gothic-arched door and window openings, leaded-glass windows, a square corner tower, buttresses, stone tracery and stepped parapets. The Gloria Dei congregation constructed the building in 1922; the Lutheran Church occupied it until 1963. The St. Paul's African Methodist Episcopal Church occupied the building from 1965 through 1997.
Designated October 15, 2002
Madison Landmarks Commission

The property is located on the northeast corner of the intersection of East Mifflin Street and North Hancock Street, at or near 107 North Hancock Street, Madison, Wisconsin 53703.

The marker is No. 148 in a series of markers erected by the Madison Landmarks Commission.

No comments:

Post a Comment