In Honor of the 1901 Milwaukee Brewers of the American League

Photographed March 20, 2015
Erected 2009 by David J. Stalker, Jeff Wetzel,
Archie Monuments, Jim Kluge, Dan Wackman, and Dale Wetzel
Miller Park, Milwaukee, Milwaukee County, Wisconsin
43° 1.763′ N, 87° 58.389′ W

IN HONOR OF THE
1901 MILWAUKEE BREWERS
OF THE AMERICAN LEAGUE
In 1900, the American League was born in a Milwaukee hotel named the Republican House. The following year, during the 1901 inaugural season, the Milwaukee Brewers were one of eight teams to participate in Major League Baseball's "Junior Circuit." The Brewers played their home games at the Lloyd Street Grounds, which was located on the city's north side (Lloyd St. & 16th St). Player/Manager Hugh Duffy batted .302 that season and was later inducted into the National Baseball Hall of Fame. Wid Conroy was the team captain, Bill Reidy led the pitching staff with 16 victories, and John Anderson paced the team with a .330 batting average.

Five Wisconsin natives were members of that Brewers team, including Ed Bruyette of Manawa, Davy Jones of Cambria, and George McBride of Milwaukee, all of whom made their Major League debut. Pitchers Pink Hawley of Beaver Dam and Pete Husting of Mayville also contributed. In 1902, the Brewers moved to St. Louis and became the Browns, but the league they helped form is still in existence today. The Browns became the Baltimore Orioles in 1954.
The marker is located at Miller Park, home of the Milwaukee Brewers. The marker is accessible from westbound Brewers Way, between Frederick Miller Way / Parkway Drive (to the west) and Selig Drive (to the east), at 1 Brewers Way, Milwaukee, Wisconsin 53214.

NOTE: It is impossible to miss Miller Park!



First Game Played: April 25, 1901
Last Game Played: September 28, 1901
Moved to St. Louis in 1902

Click here for a list of all markers / memorials at Miller Park, Home of the Milwaukee Brewers. 



With Miller Park in the background . . .



No comments:

Post a Comment