Hyer-Jaquish Hotel 1854

MARKER PHOTO NEEDED
Erected 1975 by Madison Landmarks Commission
Madison, Dane County, Wisconsin
43° 4.721′ N, 89° 22.146′ W
Google Map

HYER-JAQUISH HOTEL
1854
Built in a vernacular that borrows both from Greek revival and Italianate sources, this brick structure was the front section of a larger Farmers’ and Railway hotel. Such hotels offered lodging to boarders and travelers in the nineteenth century. David Hyer came to the nascent village of Madison in 1837. In 1855 he sold the hotel to Henry C. Jaquish who operated it until a fire destroyed the rear portion of the building in 1874.
 Designated November 3, 1975
Madison Landmarks Commission

The property is located on westbound Jenifer Street, at its intersection with South Patterson Street, at 854 Jenifer Street, Madison, Wisconsin 53703.

The marker is No. 40 in a series of markers erected by the Madison Landmarks Commission.

No comments:

Post a Comment