Hiestand School 1915

MARKER PHOTO NEEDED
Erected 1976 by Madison Landmarks Commission
Madison, Dane County, Wisconsin
43° 5.944′ N, 89° 18.411′ W
Google Map

HEISTAND SCHOOL
1915
Since about 1855 this site has been the location of the Blooming Grove township school. Named for pioneer tobacco grower, Jacob Hiestand, whose farmstead lay across the road, the original frame building was razed in 1915 to make way for this fully modern stucco-covered building. This one-room school is noteworthy as a progressively designed facility, as a community center, and as a reminder of the rural heritage of the township.
Designated April 19, 1976
Madison Landmarks Commission

The property is located at Hiestand Park on westbound Milwaukee Street, at its intersection with Heistand Drive, at 4418 Milwaukee Street, Madison, Wisconsin 53714.

The marker is No. 44 in a series of markers erected by the Madison Landmarks Commission.

No comments:

Post a Comment