Hickory Hill House

MARKER PHOTO NEEDED
Erected 1975 by Madison Landmarks Commission
Madison, Dane County, Wisconsin
43° 5.186′ N, 89° 28.672′ W
Google Map

HICKORY HILL HOUSE
1842
A very early Madison sandstone house this farm dwelling was presumably constructed for John G. Hicks, a New Yorker. In 1854 James P. Falkner, a speculator, bought the house hoping to develop "Mendota Village" around it. His assets were wiped out by a recession a few years later. Exemplary of a pioneer farmstead, originally the site included a half-mile of Lake Mendota shoreline, outbuildings, and a 70-foot hand-dug well.
 Designated October 6, 1975
Madison Landmarks Commission

The property is located on eastbound Hickory Drive, east of its intersection with University Avenue, at 1721 Hickory Drive, Madison, Wisconsin 53705.

The marker is No. 37 in a series of markers erected by the Madison Landmarks Commission.

No comments:

Post a Comment