Gates of Heaven Synagogue 1863

MARKER PHOTO NEEDED
Erected 1974 by Madison Landmarks Commission
Madison, Dane County, Wisconsin
43° 4.799′ N, 89° 23.094′ W
Google Map

GATES OF HEAVEN SYNAGOGUE
1863
Gates of Heaven was designed for Madison's first Jewish congregation by local architect August Kutzbock in the German Romanesque style. Kutzbock also used this distinctive style for the Pierce and Keenan houses at Pinckney and Gilman. The building later served as the first Unitarian Society Meeting House, the Women's Christian Temperance Union, other churches and a funeral home. In 1971 it was saved from demolition through the efforts of local citizens and moved from its original location at 214 W. Washington Ave. 
Designated May 20, 1974
Madison Landmarks Commission

The property is located on westbound East Gorham Street, at its intersection with North Butler Street, at 302 East Gorham Street, Madison, Wisconsin 53703.

The marker is No. 50 in a series of markers erected by the Madison Landmarks Commission.

No comments:

Post a Comment