Fess Hotel 1858, 1901

MARKER PHOTO NEEDED
Erected 1975 by Madison Landmarks Commission
Madison, Dane County, Wisconsin
43° 4.472′ N, 89° 22.817′ W
Google Map

FESS HOTEL
1858 1901
A hotel for the common man throughout its history, the nineteenth century facade of the Fess remains a reminder of the commercial character of the King Street and Doty Street area. George Fess, the original proprietor of the hotel, catered to travelers on the nearby railroad lines and to weekly boarders. After a remodeling in 1901 by architects J.O. Gordon and F. W. Paunack, the lodging was known for a decade as the Central Hotel, though it remained in the Fess family until recently.
Designated October 6, 1975
Madison Landmarks Commission

The property is located on eastbound Doty Street, at its intersection with Webster Street Street and King Street, at 123 East Doty Street, Madison, Wisconsin 53703.

The marker is No. 38 in a series of markers erected by the Madison Landmarks Commission.

No comments:

Post a Comment