Ely House 1896

MARKER PHOTO NEEDED
Erected 1974 by Madison Landmarks Commission
Madison, Dane County, Wisconsin
43° 4.313′ N, 89° 24.981′ W
Google Map

ELY HOUSE
1896
Cobb & Frost
Designed in the the Georgian Revival style by Chicago architect Charles Sumner Frost, who was a partner of Henry Ives Cobb, this house was commissioned by Richard T. Ely, nationally known economist and university professor. In the academic freedom case involving Ely's allegedly radical views, the Board of Regents vindicated him with the statement which encourages "that continual and fearless sifting and winnowing by which alone the truth can be found."
 Designated January 7, 1974
Madison Landmarks Commission

The property is located on northbound North Prospect Avenue, north of its intersection with North Spooner Street, at 205 North Prospect Avenue, Madison, Wisconsin 53726.

The marker is No. 20 in a series of markers erected by the Madison Landmarks Commission.

No comments:

Post a Comment