Edward Diederichs House / "The Lion House"

Photographed March 28, 2015
Erected 1987
Milwaukee, Milwaukee County, Wisconsin
43.046538,-87.897326

EDWARD DIEDERICHS HOUSE
"THE LION HOUSE"
Designed by the firm of Mygatt and Schmidtner in 1855 for Edward Diederichs, this ante-bellum residence was badly damaged by fire and rebuilt in 1859. In 1895, the structure was enlarged with the addition of a second floor designed by architect Howland Russel. The two craved lions for which the building is named were original features of the house that were replicated in 1985.
Designated 3-19-87
National Register of Historic Places

The property is located on southbound North Franklin Avenue, south of its intersection with East Knapp Street, at 1241 North Franklin Place, Milwaukee, Wisconsin 53202.


Statement of Significance: This is the finest surviving ante-bellum house in Milwaukee and ranks among the city's outstanding Neo-Classical buildings. . . .  On both exterior and interior, the house has been meticulously maintained.

The property is listed on the National Register of Historic Places: Wisconsin.





 The property is now home to The Lynde and Harry Bradley Foundation.


No comments:

Post a Comment