Draper Brothers Block 1867

MARKER PHOTO NEEDED
Erected 2012 by Madison Landmarks Commission
Madison, Dane County, Wisconsin
43.076886,-89.383897
Google Map

DRAPER BROTHERS BLOCK
1867
The Draper Brothers block is significant as one of the few remaining buildings of native sandstone from Madison's earliest era of commercial development and for being associated with Madison's commercial history, having housed a meat market on the ground floor for seventy four years. The location across from the state capitol was used to full advantage; the asymmetrical footprint allowed for a prominent entrance directly on the corner and facing the capitol building, the large arched openings for the entrance and display windows impart a dramatic scale to an otherwise small building.
Designated October 15, 2002
Madison Landmarks Commission

The property is located on westbound one-way East Mifflin Street, at its intersection with North Hamilton Street, at 101 North Hamilton Street, Madison, Wisconsin 53703.

The marker is No. 155 in a series of markers erected by the Madison Landmarks Commission.

No comments:

Post a Comment