Cutter House 1882

MARKER PHOTO NEEDED
Erected 1980 by Madison Landmarks Commission
Madison, Dane County, Wisconsin
43.080913,-89.366407
Google Map

CUTTER HOUSE
1882
Judson C. Cutter, an entrepreneur, commissioned the construction of this house, but he never lived here. The house is designed in a late Victorian period style, sometimes called Stick-Eastlake. The decorative surface treatment, which seems to show the structure of the house, belies the mass of the building. Charles Lock Eastlake was an English tastemaker and author.
The marker is located on eastbound Jenifer Street, east of its intersection with South Brearly Street, at 1030 Jenifer Street, Madison, Wisconsin 53703.

Madison Landmarks Commission
J. C. Cutter, identified in city directories as a "capitalist," apparently built this house as an investment property, because it was leased to various tenants until 1890. It retains much of its original surface trim, including panels of decorative siding in a variety of patterns. The steeply-pitched gables have elaborate braces and bargeboards, and some windows are capped with shed-type window hoods. The Cutter house is the best example of the rare Stick Style remaining in Madison and it is one of the most highly detailed nineteenth century buildings in the City. In our harsh climate many old buildings that have survived to the 21st century have had much of their original trim either removed or covered by siding, making the elaborate decoration on the Cutter all the more important to preserve.
Madison Landmarks Commission: Landmark Nomination Form

Wisconsin Historical Society: Architecture and History Inventory: 1030 Jenifer Street
Historic Name: Judson C. Cutter House
Other Name: Three Unit House
Reference No. 16072
Year Built: 1882
Architectural Style: Queen Anne
Wall Material: Clapboard
Designations:
 - National Register Listing Date: 1978-07-12
 - State Register Listing Date: 1989-01-01

The property is listed on the National Register of Historic Places: Wisconsin and the Wisconsin State Register.

The marker is No. 48 in a series of markers erected by the Madison Landmarks Commission.

No comments:

Post a Comment