City Horse Barn 1910-1914

MARKER PHOTO NEEDED
Erected 1988 by Madison Landmarks Commission
Madison, Dane County, Wisconsin
43.080981,-89.379878
Google Map

CITY HORSE BARN
Built 1910-1914
This simple brick structure is a rare survivor of the horse-and-wagon era. Built as part of the old city yards, the barn housed up to nine draft horses whose job it was to pull maintenance and service vehicles. Each of the nine windows on the Dayton Street side provided light and air to a separate horse stall. Doors under the arches at each end led to the haymow. In the 1930s the barn was converted into offices. The Madison Mutual Housing Association renovated it into offices and two apartments in 1987.
Designated March 6, 1988
Madison Landmarks Commission

The property is located on southbound North Blount Street, at its intersection with East Dayton Street, at 202 North Blount Street, Madison, Wisconsin 53703.

NOTE: The property address is on North Blount Street, but the property is also accessible from East Dayton Street.

The marker is No. 86 in a series of markers erected by the Madison Landmarks Commission.

No comments:

Post a Comment