Biederstaedt - Breitenbach Grocery 1874

MARKER PHOTO NEEDED
Erected 1977 by Madison Landmarks Commission
Madison, Dane County, Wisconsin
43° 4.766′ N, 89° 22.199′ W
Google Map

BIEDERSTAEDT - BREITENBACH
GROCERY
1874
A store with a residence above was a common pattern in nineteenth century Madison. This brick structure was erected as a saloon and grocery for Charles Biederstaedt. Built in a high Victorian Italianate mode, it replaced an earlier structure. In 1891 Bavarian immigrant George C. Breitenbach took over the store.
Designated September 19, 1977
Madison Landmarks Commission

The property is located on the northwest corner of the intersection of Williams Street and South Patterson Street, at 853 Williamson Street, Madison, Wisconsin 53703.

The property is now home to The Wisco aka Willy Street Pub & Grill.

The marker is No. 55 in a series of markers erected by the Madison Landmarks Commission.

No comments:

Post a Comment