Belmont Hotel 1923-1924

MARKER PHOTO NEEDED
Erected 1993 by Madison Landmarks Commission
Madison, Dane County, Wisconsin
43° 4.588′ N, 89° 23.041′ W
Google Map

BELMONT HOTEL
Balch and Lippert, Architects
1923 - 1924
The Belmont Hotel was built to serve business travelers and legislators, with two dining rooms and "modern facilities," meaning adjacent bathrooms. City boosters hoped that it would encourage conventions to come to Madison. The construction of the eleven-story Belmont spurred the state legislature to pass a law, still on the books, that buildings within one mile of the State Capitol could be no higher than the base of the Capitol dome. The Belmont was sold to the YWCA in 1968.
Designated October 25, 1993
Madison Landmarks Commission
The property is located across from the Wisconsin State Capitol, at the triangle intersection of East Mifflin Street and North Hamilton Street, at 101 East Mifflin Street, Madison, Wisconsin 53703.

NOTE: As this property is near the capitol building, travel / parking can be crazy!

The marker is No. 109 in a series of markers erected by the Madison Landmarks Commission.

No comments:

Post a Comment