Beecroft House 1911

MARKER PHOTO NEEDED
Erected 2012 by Madison Landmarks Commission
Madison, Dane County, Wisconsin
43° 4.654′ N, 89° 23.43′ W
Google Map

BEECROFT HOUSE
Claude and Starck, Architects
1911
This house is attributed to Madison master architects Claude and Starck and is an excellent example of the Prairie style of architecture. Louis Claude was influenced by the work of architectural masters Louis Sullivan, Frank Lloyd Wright and George Elmslie while working in Sullivan's Chicago office where the Prairie style developed. This house exhibits many style defining characteristics: fa├žades of brick and stucco, horizontal emphasis, wide eaves and ribbons of leaded glass casement windows. Local dentist William Beecroft commissioned this home for himself and his wife Lucy.
Designated January 17, 1972
Madison Landmarks Commission

The marker is located on southbound Carroll Street, between Langdon Street (to the north) and West Gilman Street (to the south), at 514 North Carroll Street, Madison, Wisconsin 53703.

This elegant house was built for Madison dentist William Beecroft and his wife Lucy. Dr. Beecroft was known in Madison as "Mr. Theater" because of his activities in developing moving theaters, included the Strand and the Orpheum. The house is a fine example of the Prairie style, with banded leaded glass casement windows and wide eaves. Because of similarities to other known Claude and Starck works, it seems probable that Claude and Starck designed this house.
Madison Landmarks Commission: Landmark Nomination Form

The property is also known as the Dr. William G. & Lucy A. Beecroft Residence. It is located inside the Mansion Hill Historic District, which is listed (as of June 4, 1997) on the National Register of Historic Places: Wisconsin.

Madison Landmarks Commission: Mansion Hill Historic District
Mansion Hill is the residential neighborhood north of the Square in downtown Madison. Its heart is the corner of Gilman and Pinckney Streets, where four Victorian mansions evoke an aura of yesteryear. In the 19th century, Mansion Hill was one of Madison's two most prestigious neighborhoods (the other, along East and West Wilson Street, has been mostly obliterated by time). Mansion Hill contains the greatest concentration of intact Victorian houses remaining in Madison, many of which were the homes of Madison's pioneer movers-and-shakers.

In the 1950s, '60s and '70s several of the finest old houses in Mansion Hill were demolished to make way for anonymous apartment buildings and two large insurance companies. Fearful of further erosion of the residential character of this historic neighborhood, residents petitioned the City to designate Mansion Hill as an historic district. The Common Council complied and Mansion Hill became Madison's first historic district in 1976.
The marker is No. 6 in a series of markers erected by the Madison Landmarks Commission.

No comments:

Post a Comment