Alexander Smith House 1902

MARKER PHOTO NEEDED
Erected 1980 by Madison Landmarks Commission
Madison, Dane County, Wisconsin
43° 5.914′ N, 89° 17.451′ W

ALEXANDER SMITH HOUSE
Claude and Starck
1902
Built of sand limestone and cap limestone from a nearby quarry, this residence is an example of the Greek Revival style. The building was constructed as a farmhouse, but it also served as a halfway house for travelers between Milwaukee and Prairie du Chien. In 1848, Alexander Smith bought this land, surveyed for the United States by Lucius Lyon, an early speculator, and he erected this house which remained in his family until 1920.
Designated 2, 1971
Madison Landmarks Commission

The marker is located on eastbound Milwaukee Street, east of its intersection with Lamplighter Way, at 5301 Milwaukee Street, Madison, Wisconsin 53714.

Madison Landmarks Commission: Landmark Designation Form

The marker is No. 4 in a series of markers erected by the Madison Landmarks Commission.

No comments:

Post a Comment