© Photographed February 28, 2015
Port Washington, Ozaukee County, Wisconsin
LARGE ANCHOR - MAIN BOWER
This large anchor is from a New England whaling ship. It was donated by Jim and Cathy Burt of Port Washington. Capt. Charles H. Lewis, Sr., lightkeeper of this lighthouse 1874 to 1880, was a whaling ship captain before he entered the lighthouse service. Upon his death in 1880, anecdotal records indicate his wife, Maria, took over his duties (although never officially appointed) until their son, Charles H. Lewis, Jr., assumed the post. Charles, Jr. spent his early years sailing Lake Michigan.The friction ring was part of the forward windlass from the steamer Toledo, which sank off Port Washington in October 1856. In 1935 Charles Jr.'s wife, Linda Teed, was reported to have been the last living witness of the destruction of the Toledo. This artifact was donated by Arty Keller.The miscellaneous shipwrect artifacts from the engine room of the steamer Niagara were donated by Mr. and Mrs. R. E. Schroeder of Mequon, WI. The Niagara burned and sunk in 1856, north of Port Washington.
The anchor and marker are located on the grounds of the Port Washington Light Station located at 311 Johnson Street, Port Washington, Wisconsin 53074.
The lighthouse is also home to the Port Washington Historical Society.
National Register of Historic Places: Wisconsin
These markers are also located at the Port Washington Light Station:
- Port Washington Light Station 1860
- Port Washington Light Station: Oil House
- Port Washington Light Station: Well
- The Lights of Port Washington
The marker is visible to the left of the building.
With a spectacular view of Lake Michigan in the background.
The marker is located in Port Washington, Wisconsin.