North Hall, University of Wisconsin

© Photographed August 1, 2015
Erected 1966
Madison, Dane County, Wisconsin
43.075495,-89.402921

NORTH HALL
University of Wisconsin
has been designed a
REGISTERED NATIONAL
HISTORIC LANDMARK

Under the provision of the
Historic Sites Act of August 31, 1935
this site possesses exceptional value
in commemorating or illustrating
the history of the United States

U.S. Department of the Interior
National Park Service

1966

The marker is affixed to the south side of North Hall (now the Department of Political Science building), located at 1050 Bascom Mall, Madison 53705.

NOTE: The marker is accessible from a public walkway on Bascom Hill. There is no parking at this location, and no access by car. You will need to park at one of the nearby parking areas and walk to the marker's location.

NOTE: Driving around and parking at the UW-Madison campus is pretty intense. Be sure to check the Google Map (above) and campus maps (below) before heading out.


UW-Madison Map and Parking

National Historic Landmarks Program: North Hall, University of Wisconsin
National Register Number: 66000021
Statement of Significance (as of designation - December 21, 1965):
Constructed in 1851, this is the first structure built on the campus of the State university which pioneered in extension work, particularly in agricultural programs, and in the involvement of scholars in legislative and regulatory affairs on a non-partisan basis. Known as the "Wisconsin Idea", the univerity's innovative cooperative program stemmed from the concept that an enlightened public would best ensure a progressive America.
University of Wisconsin North Hall:
The first University building. Erected in 1851 as a dormitory, and now (1899) in use by the School of Pharmacy and the departments of German and Scandinavian languages.
Thwaites, Reuben Gold. The University of Wisconsin: Its History and its Alumni. Madison: J. N. Purcell, 1900. p.61

University of Wisconsin-Madison: Department of Political Science:

 University of Wisconsin North Hall (circa 1885)

The above image used with gracious permission of UW-Madison Archives (Identifier S05904).

The small plaque is mounted to the right of the facade.


View of North Hall from the top of Bascom Hill.

Nearby statue of Abraham Lincoln.

The marker is located on the UW-Madison campus.

No comments:

Post a Comment