University of Wisconsin Armory and Gymnasium

Screenshot of vintage postcard provided by CardCow.com.
Built 1894
Declared a National Historic Landmark in 1993
University of Wisconsin-Madison
Madison, Dane County, Wisconsin
43.076321,-89.39846

University of Wisconsin Armory and Gymnasium (aka "Red Gym") is located on the University of Wisconsin-Madison campus on westbound Langdon Street, at 716 Langdon Street, Madison, Wisconsin 53706.

NOTE: Driving around and parking at the UW-Madison campus is pretty intense. Be sure to check the Google Map (above) and campus maps (below) before heading out.

National Historic Landmarks Program: University of Wisconsin Armory & Gymnasium
National Register Number: 93001618
Statement of Significance (as of designation - November 4, 1993):
This was the site of the 1904 Wisconsin Republican Convention, a seminal event in the history of the Progressive Movement. At this convention, Robert M. La Follette's Progressives defeated the Stalwarts for control of the Wisconsin Republican Party. Widespread favorable publicity launched La Follette on the national scene. The controversy and legal suit engendered by the "Gymnasium Convention" and La Follette's subsequent vindication by the Supreme Court of Wisconsin led the Progressives to victory that November, giving them a majority in the state legislature the following year. This allowed the enactment of substantial reforms, many of which were subsequently adopted by many states across the Nation.
University of Wisconsin-Madison: International Student Services: History of the Red Gym
The University of Wisconsin Armory and Gymnasium, also called "the Red Gym," is one of the most beautiful and recognizable buildings on the UW-Madison campus; the building houses many student services offices, including International Student Services. 

The Red Gym was originally used as a combination gymnasium and armory beginning in 1894. Designed in the Romanesque revival style, it resembles a red brick castle. It is situated on the shores of Lake Mendota, overlooking Library Mall, and adjacent to Memorial Union.
The Old Red Gym: Gateway to the Future
This document is the "first-ever Historic Structure Report on a state-owned building", completed in the summer of 1992.
  • Built in 1894 at a cost of $127,000 (would cost $3,368,315.28 in 2013)
  • Renovated in 1998, at a cost of $13 million
  • Original purpose was as a military training facility, and athletic and student activity center
Click here for a list of all National Historic Landmarks in Wisconsin.

See also, Armory & Gymnasium, also at this location.

Screenshot of vintage postcard provided by CardCow.com.

Screenshot of vintage postcard provided by CardCow.com.

 Screenshot of vintage postcard provided by CardCow.com.
Postmarked April 2, 1904

 Screenshot of vintage postcard provided by CardCow.com.
Postmarked November 2, 1913

No comments:

Post a Comment